International Jascha Heifetz Competition For Violinists
|Categories for the next competition:||Violin
|Structure:||Submission of recordings followed by two rounds|
|Cycle:||every four years
||VSI Natu knygynas and Lithuanian Academy of Music and Theatre|
Lithuanian Council for Culture, Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Lithuania, Lithuanian National Philharmonic Society
Rules: The Competition is open to violinists of all nationalities who were born on or after 2 February 1990. The participants will be judged by an international Jury chaired by Gidon Kremer
The required programme can be seen here.
Prizes and awards:
Total prize fund of the Competition is 18 500 Euros:
- 1st Prize - 9000 Euros
- 2nd Prize - 4500 Euros
- 3rd Prize - 2000 Euros
- 3 Diplomants - 1000 Euros (each)
Application: The application form must be submited online from 1 September to 15 December 2016 on the competition website.
Application fee: EUR 100,00
The following materials should be included with the Application Form:
- A certified copy of the Applicant’s birth certificate/ passport or identification card;
- A brief biography in English (not more than 150 words)
- Repertoire list for the Competition. Subsequent changes to the repertoire will not be accepted.
- A copy of entrance fee payment (100 EUR)
- A recent photograph (black-white, in jpg format)
- A recording on DVD / a link to a video of the piece chosen for the preliminary round. The piece must be recorded in it's entirely, not cut or re-mastered. The authenticity and integrity of the recording must be certified by the applicant's teacher or the recording sound engineer.
Background: In 2001, when the world celebrated the centenary of the birth of Jascha Heifetz, the musical society of his native Vilnius did not stay aside. In commemoration of an outstanding violinist the Violin Days and the International Violin Competition dedicated to the one-hundredth anniversary of Jascha Heifetz were organised. During the competition, the famous Gidon Kremer headed an international jury and the participants were numerous gifted young people from both Lithuania and abroad. The event aroused a great interest of the society and the hall of the National Philharmonic Society was full during the closing concert. The organisers fostered a dream to make this competition dedicated to the anniversary of Jascha Heifetz a regularly occurring event.
Thanks to competition enthusiasts – Professors of Lithuanian Academy of Music and Theatre Petras Radzevičius and Jurgis Dvarionas – as well as to state cultural institutions, this dream did come true. The second competition, which took place in the middle of February, 2005, was also enthusiastically welcomed by music professionals and abundant music lovers of Vilnius. Gidon Kremer, who was the head of the jury, emphasized high criteria of this competition and stated that playing in the hall with the portrait of Jascha Heifetz was an extraordinary task and responsibility to all young musicians. The competition now takes place every four years, the third competition being part of the “Hommage à Heifetz” project at the start of Vilnius’ year as European Capital of Culture in 2009.
Last updated: 22.06.2016
- 14 February 2017 V International Jascha Heifetz Competition for Violinists
- 09 February 2017 Music Education Academy 2017